If you’ve never been to Calgary you might think that the city and surrounding area is flat because it’s so close to the prairies. But you’d be wrong. South of the city there is nothing but miles of rolling hills – some steep, others just long.
The Road to Nepal takes you into beautiful rolling farm country; those with stamina can explore even further on the Cowboy Trail and any number of backroads.
Starting at the junction of Highway 22X and Highway 773 begin the challenging ‘Road to Nepal.‘ (It’s actually 37th Street SW on the north side of Highway 22X; look for a big parking lot between the east and west lanes of Highway 22x) Over 55 kms you climb approximately 600 metres. Roads are reasonably quiet and most have a decent sized shoulder. It’s very pretty – with pastoral scenes, mountain views and Calgary city views along the way. You also cycle a short stretch of the Cowboy Highway so it’s easy to add a café stop in Millarville.
For a half day outing that leaves you feeling like you’ve spent a full day on your bike you’d do well to choose this scenic bike ride.
Directions to ride the Road to Nepal. Allow about 2.5 hours.
- From the parking lot head south on Highway 773 until you reach 226 Avenue West.
- Turn right onto 226 Ave West
- Take the first left to do a clockwise loop onto the very straight and very hilly 112th St SW
- Turn right on Highway 549. This section of highway is not as smooth and much busier.
- Continue until you reach the Cowboy Trail – Highway 22.
- Turn right (north) and follow it until you reach 274 Avenue West. You’ll see signs for the Leighton Centre as well. Follow it northeast as it zigs and zags to regroup with the Highway 226 Avenue West intersection you passed at the start of the ride.
- Retrace your steps back to the car.
Other bike rides near Calgary that might be of interest:
- How to Get from Calgary to Chestermere by Bike
- Cycling the Banff Legacy Trail from Canmore to Banff
- Calgary Day Trip – Cycling the Sheep River Valley
- 11 of the Best Places to Cycle Within 75 Minutes of Calgary
- Biking the Going to the Sun Road in Glacier National Park